In making this recipe, I wanted to share with everyone that you don’t have to go crazy in “finding” all the ingredients. Also, “precise” measurement of the items being put into the sauce is not necessary. Instead, do it based upon flavor and what suits your taste.
Here’s an example of my “whatever you have in the fridge and pantry” BBQ Sauce….
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or sliced
- 1 whole onion, chopped or sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ cup of vinegar (your choice)
- 1 tbsp. sweet orange marmalade (love this for both PB&J & BBQ sauces!)
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. mustard (your choice)
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- dashes of hot sauce (your choice & amount)
- whiskey (optional)
Sauté in a pot over medium heat the olive oil, garlic, onion, pepper until golden brown. Turn stove down to medium-low to low heat and then add in the ketchup. After about 1 minute, add the remaining ingredients. Cover and let the BBQ sauce simmer on a very low heat for about 15 min. That’s it! Easy! If you don’t have some ingredients, don’t worry. Just think about the flavor and substitute or eliminate ingredients as needed. Enjoy!